Thursday 27 August 2009

Amritsar - Part 2

Perhaps one of the strangest experiences I've had in a temple so far is the visit to the Mata temple in Amritsar.

It's a Hindu temple in memory of Mata Lal Devi Ji who is revered for her spirituality – although it wasn't immediately obvious why :-)

After leaving my shoes with the shoe keeper and walking through the feet cleaning pool, I follow the crowd into the main temple. From there I'm ushered up some stairs and begin to follow the corridor: up stairs – along balconies – past shrines.

Eventually after climbing a small flight of stairs, the path is obstructed by what can only be described as what looks like the entrance to a small cave.

After ducking down and crawling through on all fours, the roof opens up again, and I follow the corridor along another balcony and another flight of stairs.

Even stranger still, after turning a corner the way is blocked – this time requiring everyone to clamber over a three foot obstacle. On the other side – is a narrow “cave” with ankle deep water and shrines on the walls.

On the other side, holy men are handing out what looks like sweets. The way continues through kitsch looking rooms with tiny mirror tiles and even more shrines. Eventually after walking down a flight of stairs everyone is returned to main temple.

A rather bizarre experience – but kind of fun – a bit like a Hindu Fun House at the fare. The children of the family I followed around it certainly had a lot of fun.

Unfortunatley I forgot to take any pictures - it was that strange I got distracted just walking around...

:-)

I also visited the Silver Temple – but I'll leave that for next time...

No comments: