Thursday 7 August 2008

The New, New, Plan!

I went to STA again tonight to confirm my flight details having worked everything out, and done just enough planning to be able to confirm dates...

...only to have to change the plan again.

My intention was to try and make it through from Pakistan to Moscow and then fly home from there. But having read how hard it is, I thought I'd just change the flight if getting visas and train tickets got too hard.

Having discussed this with STA, it turns out that once the flights are booked and paid for - it costs £85 to change them, and I'd have to pay any difference in the flight costs or taxes. Given that taxes are now rising at between £5 and £10 per day, it would seriously add to the cost.

So I've decided that my last flight will be from Islamabad, on the basis that I can explore around that area and get to Islamabad pretty easily, and if I do decide to "go for it" and catch the train home, a ticket from Moscow currently costs £150 if you book it in Russia. Which is a lot less than a ticket from Pakistan or India.

It did cost me a bit more - but I do get more options this way.

So - here is - and fingers crossed it won't change before I go away - is my route:
  • From London UK to Lima in Peru.
  • Overland to Santiago in Chile.
  • A flight to Sydney, and then overland to Brisbane.
  • A flight to Melbourne, and then overland to Adelaide.
  • A flight to Perth.
  • A flight to Singapore to catch another flight to Bangkok.
  • Then overland, through Cambodia, Vietnam, and into China.
  • Through China, into Nepal, and then on to India.
  • Through India to Pakistan, up the Karakorum Highway.
  • Back to Pakistan for a flight home.
It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the actual route.

For those interested in comparing it with the ever changing route, you can find updates by clicking the following links:
And here's a map of the current planned route - which is 35468 miles:


View Larger Map

No comments: