Monday 5 October 2009

Manali

I was a bit disappointed by Manali. It's a bit of a backpackers ghetto – particularly Old Manali which is entirely geared up for backpackers – it feels very soulless.

If I was going to come here again I'd stay in Vishkech on the other side of the valley which feels a bit more laid back and fun and has hot springs.

One real highlight was looking around the Tibetan Gompa's, and at one of them I got chatting to a Tibetan and ended up playing cannon ball with him – a bit like pool crossed with air hockey.

The other thing worth doing is going to see the Hindu Temple dedicated to Manu. Legend has it that Manu was warned by God that the world was going to be flooded because people were no longer following what they knew to be right. So Manu built a boat and collected all of the animals. When the flood subsided he landed in Manali and meditated at this spot.

The front door of the temple:



Sculpture in the temple:



When I got back to town I was lucky enough to see a Hindu celebration. Here's a short video:



With nothing else to do I booked a jeep ticket to Leh...it was going to turn out to be a really great decision...

No comments: