Saturday 2 January 2010

So What Were The Highlights?

I also get asked: "So what were the highlights?"

...and I never really feel that I've ever answered the question. I usually reel off a list of places - but part of it is not having had the time to really think through a whole year...

But here goes...

There were some countries that really stood out for me. Bolivia, Cambodia, Mongolia, Pakistan, Tibet, and Sri Lanka. Each one was unique and exciting in it's own way. All were an adventure. They're all fairly poor - but the people are truly amazing. And each one has a lot to see.

And they're all places that have had significant turmoil in the recent past.

What shines through were how optimistic the people are - how they're looking to the future. There's something special about the inner drive towards self improvement that really rubs off...it's truly infectious.

That was what really struck me about Cambodia. It's not so many years ago that people were being treated in the most horrific way. Children were being tortured and killed, and a quarter of the population died through starvation alone. And yet - there's an optimism and hope in Cambodia. There's a drive towards a better life - to learn from the wrongs of the past.

In a different way - South America was a real surprise. I only went there because my intended route through Africa was blocked by civil war. But what a place. It's so vibrant and full of life. It's energetic in a truly unique way. There's always something exciting around every corner in South America, and you can rough it or take it easy - there's a bit of everything if you look for it.

I know I've already said it - but I loved everywhere where Tibetan Buddhism is followed. There's something incredible about it - there aren't really any words to describe it. The people seem to live life in a different way, in connection with the world around them. There's a real peace and acceptance of life.

Being able to listen to His Holiness the Dalai Lama speak was a real privileged and a true highlight. His teaching was so practical and relevant - even to the western audience who were listening. If only we had more leaders like His Holiness...

Conversely - the places I didn't enjoy tended to be run by repressive regimes that dictated to the people and don't give them a voice. I found a lot of rules - and a fear to think freely. I also didn't enjoy the places that were very "touristy" as it all seemed a bit false. Vietnam and eastern China instantly spring to mind.

And don't even get me started on Delhi...

But at the end of the day - the real highlights were the unique moments that happened along the way - the recommendations that changed "the plan" and added a sense of adventure. Or the connection with people that you don't really find a lot. And luckily for me - there were a lot of those moments.

No comments: