Monday 21 December 2009

The Long, Long, Long Journey Home - Part 2

There's something really good about seeing people you know...

...and it was really great to see Lindon and Sam again. They've been something of a constant in my trip, having been in Australia in February, and then India in October. They also dropped me at the airport at the start of my trip, and so it seemed to round things off nicely when they offered to get me from the airport.

And so we set off for the final bit of my round the world trip...which fulfills another of my ambitions which has been to make a complete circle of the world. I've been to the "other side" twice before - but never managed to make it all the way round. This time - I've done it (although now I have to do it in the other direction :-).

It was great to catch up on news as we drove back through the dark and cold. Here we are in the car on the trip home:



We arrived back home - more than 37 hours after I'd set off from Colombo the previous day. Kind of crazy when you can fly from London to Sydney in significantly less time...but at least I was home safely.

Here's the moment I finally made it home:



Ruth had made a special dinner (Eggplant Parmigiana - one of my favs :-), and Auntie Margaret and Lindon and Sam stayed for the evening. It was great to catch up with Paul and the stuff he's doing at the moment. It was really relaxing - just what I needed given that I was feeling pretty wiped out.

One of the big highlights was being able to spend some time with my nephews Joshua and Harvey. Joshua was really excited about the whole thing - and was non-stop talking the whole time...but the biggest surprise was how big Harvey was one year on. When I'd left he'd been a baby - it was a bit of a shock when a little boy ran up to me...and he was talking as well - which was even more amazing.

The presents from Sri Lanka were a real winner...although perhaps trying to fly a helicopter inside wasn't the best idea :-).

It was a really amazing welcome home - just what I needed - thanks guys :-)

No comments: