Tuesday 1 July 2008

More Route Planning.

I've been doing some more route planning.

I've been really busy lately - doing two other peoples jobs at work while they are on hols (which I don't mind but it's pretty draining), arranging a new young adults group, and going on barge trips (see my earlier post) - so I've not been spending the time I should on this.

I don't want to sound like I'm whining, but picking a route is hard - much harder than I'd anticipated. The main difficulties seem to be:
  • Deciding where not to go - I just don't seem to have enough time.
  • Making sure that the weather is at least reasonable.
  • Working around visa and border problems.
I've done some great trips before - but I've only really had to worry about the first of the obstacles.

On a personal note, I'm also finding that the things that everyone finds frustrating in life are much harder to tolerate. I just keep thinking - I won't have to put up with this in "XX" days time - where as before I'd just get on with it.

As Neil Peart says in the June 2008 update of his excellent blog "Tales From The Trails" (wish I'd thought of that):

"What cannot be altered, must be endured."

Now I've decided to "alter things" - it seems that I'm finding the things I can't alter can't be endured anymore. And so "what cannot be endured, must be altered" - which is exactly what I'm about to do - in 121 days as it happens.

It does make me wonder how I'll adjust back to "normal" life when I get back.

I'm also finding the nature of the conversations I'm having with people is changing. The initial wow factor about my trip has gone, and people either don't talk about it, or talk about more specific things. Like the conversation about kidnapping for ransom I had last night. Bizarrely, on Radio 4 this morning they had an article about the same subject. The official advice is - don't pay - you'll only encourage it. The Radio 4 article also mentioned that people who are "bought" out of these situation often find their life is ruined, when they return home to massive debts.

Well - I'll stop complaining :>) - Although I'm a little worried that people won't find the blog interesting. But I've decided to be honest and record how I feel along the way - and if it's only of value to me - then it will have been worth it.

You can read Neil Peart's excellent blog on his web site, which is here: Neil Peart - Tales From The Trails.

No comments: