Monday 25 August 2008

R.E.M.

Had a fantastic day out in Manchester yesterday.

I had a look around the outdoor shops at travel footwear and clothes, but everywhere just seems to stock the same stuff. So I got fed up of shopping and had a meal at a Turkish place called Topkapi Palace on Deansgate: Fried Spinach with yogurt and pita for starter, followed by roasted aubergine in a tomato sauce, and a plate of rice and salad. The food was excellent - and it only cost £7.50 with a free coke.

I caught the tram to Old Trafford to see R.E.M. and waited for the doors to open and the massive queue to go down - but after 30 mins, I got bored and the queue wasn't any shorter, so I walked around to one of the side entrances and walked straight in!

Guillemots and Editors were supporting - both good - although I preferred Guillemots. Here's a great pic of Editors:


R.E.M. were awesome - they played a good mix of stuff, and the light and multi-media was really impressive. From a sound perspective this was one of the best concerts I've been to. Outdoors is always good because there's no back wall or surfaces for the sound to come off. The bass response was really good (sometimes sadly lacking because of the amount of power required to produce it) and you could feel every bass kick.

The weather was good - pretty warm until it got dark, but still not cold - and a beutiful clear sky. I couldn't have asked for better.

It was dark when R.E.M. came on, so I didn't get a good picture - but there's plenty on Flickr if anyone's interested.


It topped off a great weekend - not that it's over - but I'm having a quiet day to day.

No comments: