Friday 26 December 2008

Back to La Paz...

Flew back to La Paz to save the long bus journey. When you arrive and they open the door, and the air is incredibly thin, and you really notice the altitude.

The flight was interesting. The landing strip is a field, and the plane swerves about a lot until you take off. And then when we landed the plane veered off sharply to the left, and I though here we go, were going to crash. But the pilot got us back to the runway in one piece.

I decided to take a spare day as I had some stuff I needed to do - but had an absolutely rubbish day. I had a few things I needed to do, and everywhere was closed. Then the laundry lost half of my clothes, and then found them, but wouldn´t let me have them because I didn´t have the ticket which they´d insisted I give to them when I picked up the first lot of clothes. And I stayed at a rubbish hostal, and had a rubbish meal out. It was a bad day. Oh well.

I had been planning to walk up a mountain called Huayna Potosi - it´s just over 6000 meters - but I would have had to acclimatise for 3 days in La Paz, and the weather was really bad. Someone who I met had tried it a few days before and they had been wading through waist high snow, and ended up having to turn back.

So I decided to get out of La Paz - and I´m so glad I did...

Here´s a few pics of Rurre:





The plane back to La Paz:



No comments: