Saturday 20 December 2008

Copa...Copacobana...

No - not that one - the one in Bolivia!

I’d read somewhere and been told that Copa was a party town. And having had a few rather dull days I needed a party.

How wrong everyone was.

Copa was dead - given that it’s low season - it was so hard to meet up with people, and everyone I’ve met since whose been to Copa said the same thing.

I stayed at the excellent "La Cuppala" - one of the Lonely Planet guides "Splurge Recommendations" and really enjoyed it. Although I only stayed one night, as I planned to spend a few days on the Isla Del Sol - the place where the Inca’s were born.

I got down to the docks early, and after three hours we arrived at the north of the island. Lonely Planet reckon it’s a moderately strenuous 3 to 4 hour walk, from the North to the South of the island - but even with my big rucksack I made it in two and three quarter hours. It wasn’t even that hard a walk - although the scenery was good.

The original plan was to stay and explore the island, but as I’d already seen all of it, I decided to head back to Copa, where I had a fantastic meal at the local market of fried fish, rice, fried potatoes, and hot hot-sauce.

Here’s a few picks:

Copa:



Inca ruins on the Isla Del Sol:

Me and a Pre-Inca Sacrifice thingy (I did get a ten minute explanation - in Spanish!!!):

Some incredible views:

A traditional reed boat:
The original Inca stairs:
No, No, NO, NO! Some pigs...

1 comment:

Laura said...

Hi There!

Great blog! Congratulations for being able to do so much travelling.

You have a great way of explaining everything. It feels like we are there with you. :)

Have a great time and take care!
Laura