Tuesday 30 December 2008

San Pedro De Atacama

The bus drops you in San Pedro, after having gone through the border. San Pedro is an oasis in the middle of the Atacama Desert - one of the driest places on earth. The village is really geared up for travelers, so there´s plenty of stuff to see and do.

Here´s a pic of the rather pleasant main square:



I´d planned to leave after one day, but the bus didn´t leave until Sunday, which I was really glad about, as it was a perfect excuse to hang out for a while.

I found an awesome vego restaurant and had an incredible Christmas Dinner (the menu even had a "meat options" section - which was amusing).

After a good night´s sleep I rented a bike to cycle up to Devil´s Canyon. I´d read that there´s an incredible mountain biking trail there - and having really enjoyed biking the World´s Most Dangerous Road - decided to give it a go.

On the way, just out of town, there are some Pre-Inca ruins, and a look out way up on top of one of the hill´s.

Here are some picks of the ruins, and the look out:







The green is San Pedro - everything else is desert:



From there I biked to the canyon, and on the way there´s a river you have to ride through - here´s a pic taken by a couple of German girls:



(Yep...I got wet feet - although I made it all the way accross...)

Once your in the canyon - it´s absolutely incredible. A tight path leads through the canyon walls, and in places it was quiet hard to cycle, as the ground is thick sand, and the bike slides all over the place.

I biked up to the end of the canyon (which took just over an hour), where it opens out. The only problem - everything looks the same with channels leading off, and I realized that I was lost. It´s baking hot, and I´m trying to find my way back, with the "Voice Of Reason" telling me that I should have stayed on the main path.

Eventually I see some bike tracks which I´m pretty sure are mine, and so I follow them up one of the channels, and after about 5mins, I recognize one of the tunnels.

It was a pretty hard climb out to the main track, but once your there I realized the path slopes down, and I was able to pick up a fair bit of speed, using all the techniques I´d learned on the World´s Most Dangerous Road. With the occasional spot of very deep sand, and riding into the canyon wall because I was going too fast, I made it back to the start. Awesome.







It all looked like this when I found I was lost, with channels all leading off to either side:



A cool curve taken at high speed on the way back:



At the end of the road for the canyon, I met a guy called Miguel, who was a Jazz Pianist, and we sat chatting for about 30 mins. He´d played all over Europe, and had decided to open a Hostel in San Pedro...it´s just that kind of place.

Here´s a view of the ride back to San Pedro, just by the spot I met Miguel:



That night I´d booked myself onto an astronomical tour - they take you into the desert and look at the stars through large telescopes. It´s one of the clearest places in the world as there is no light pollution and the air is clear because of the lack of rain and the altitude. It´s also well known for having very few cloudy nights. Except for this one and sadly the tour was canceled.

The next day I tried to go Sandboarding, but I´d already booked a tour to the Valle De La Luna, for 4pm and didn´t have a enough time. Not a problem - as part of the tour took us to the sand dunes and the boarding didn´t look that exciting (it actually looked really hard work - there´s no lifts - so it was a few moments of going down and a long walk back up the dune!)

Here´s some pics from the Valle De La Luna:

This is a pic of Death Valley:



This is a monster Sand Dune which is really steep - you can see my footprints where I ran down. It took about 30 seconds to get from top to bottom, bouncing along the sand - giant steps are what you take:



We walked for an hour and a half through the desert and a canyon. This is a pic of the desert:



Another pic of the desert:



Walking in the canyon - the white surface is caused by chemicals in the rock:



Two pics of the Valle De La Luna:





(BTW - this is the place they filmed part of the Apollo moon landings given it´s similarity to the surface of the moon..."If you believe..." :-)

No comments: