Wednesday 31 December 2008

Salta

It was a complete shock to the system to arrive in Salta in Argentina. It could be Spain, or France, or Italy. Completely different from Bolivia and Chile. In fact, it didn´t feel like travelling at all. There´s zero hassle, and the taxi´s are metered - so no need to haggle.

It made me miss dirty, dusty, Bolivia, with all it´s hassles - most of all because it was so much fun, in a hard work kind of way. Bolivia felt like real travel. Salta feels like being on holiday in Europe.

I got chatting to Hilary who was on her way from San Pedro, and we shared a cab into town. The hostal was OK - but the thing I really noticed was how expensive it was. I`d been used to have what I called "9 pound days" in Bolivia where I`d do a whole day on just 9 pounds - including food and accommodation!

The next day I went to look around, and bumped into Hilary so we looked around the town, but everything was shut because it was Monday. So we headed to the cable car to take in the scenic view. Here`s some pics:





A picture from behind the waterfall at the top of the mountain:



I was thinking of spending New Year in Salta, but as there wasn`t much about going on I decided to head to Cordoba.

As I had a day to kill, I hit the museums. One included an archeological museum about the children that had been sacrificied by the Inca`s and buried at the top of one of the highest volcanoes. It was really sad, and a bit upsetting to read about the degradation they had to suffer. And coming face to face with one of the children was not easy...it felt wrong.

So I headed off to the modern art gallery - but it was shut for painting (they should have kept it open as a post modern installation).

I also happened to bump into Betty, who I`d met on the boat trip to the jungle, and we had a long chat about our travels which was fun.

And then it was off to the bus station, where I bumped into Hilary who was also heading for Cordoba.

Here`s some pics of Salta (pronounced with an A as in Apple):



Here`s a picture of the Cathedral reflected in one of the many modern buildings on the square:



The main square:



Belgrano Square:



Yes - they still have C&A:



A colonial building on the main square:



The Cathedral:

No comments: