Sunday 3 May 2009

Dali - Part 1

Well - I'm in Dali. I wasn't going to come here as a lot of people told me to give it a miss - but then the Chinese guys from the dorm in Kunming said I should give it a try. And I'm so glad I did.

Another monster coach journey to get here though. Two bits of the express way were out of action, so it made a four hour journey six hours long across some really rough roads - and the guy in the seat next to me seemed to think his ticket included half my seat. I spent most of the journey fighting for enough space to sit down.

One slightly confusing thing, is there are three places called Dali, and the bus drops you at the new Dali (which is actually called Xiaguan - as opposed to Dali New Town (which I didn't want to go to either), but I managed to get a bus to old Dali for 20 pence - which saved me a whole one pounds and eighty pence had I got a taxi!

Dali is a walled city which was built in the 14th Century, and has been well preserved. It's a tourist destination, so can be a bit busy, but most of the people walking around are either locals or Chinese tourists. Interestingly - there is a street which the locals call Foreigner Street - although it was packed with Chinese tourists - but if you do go there - you'll know what love is :-)

Here are some pics:









The North Gate:



Pagoda in the centre of town:







The food so far in China has been incredible - and one of my favourite Chinese foods is dumplings - so when I saw a place that sold vege dumplings I was straight in to try them. And I'd have to say - they were the best dumplings I've ever had.

And here they are - just 40 pence for this little lot (I'd already eaten two before thinking to take a pic hence the gap):



The dumpling steamer:



No meat, no MSG, no eggs - it's all good:



Intestines drying in the cool evening breeze (and those are stomachs behind if you were wondering):

No comments: