Saturday 1 November 2008

About Last Night...

It was a rather strange day yesterday at work - followed by a fantastic night out.

After a major panic first thing over whether something had happened or not, it turned out that everything had gone smoothly and the final things for the project were finished. Which meant that it was officially closed - although I did spend the rest of the day chasing around trying to finish everything off, while saying goodbyes to people who couldn't make it to the night out.

The leaving presentation was at 3pm, and from start to end it somehow didn't seem real. It was a good laugh - and I got some great gifts (thanks everyone).

I always find the opening the gifts bit is the absolute hardest part. I always feel so self concious - trying not to over or under react. I prefer the banter before and after. Anyway - there was some really useful stuff:
  • A survival kit - including glowsticks just in case I get stuck in an all night rave.
  • A bottle of wine.
  • An LED latern that I'll definitely be using a lot.
  • And a voucher from Millets - which is great because I need to pick up a moz vaporiser.
Not quite sure about the anti fungal and anti germacidal cream though :>)

After saying final goodbyes, and handing over my security pass, laptop, and phone, I left at 4:30pm. As I had no security card anymore I had to get Irish to let me out of the building.

I raced home, got changed - thanks to Paul for the ironed shirt and the lift to the Black Horse.

It was really great to catch up with everyone, and I think I got around just about everyone. I also repayed my debts to the management team - thank goodness the fining system for missing meetings only got introduced a few months ago (does that mean Stu is paying for the next night out - I can't remember the last time he dialed in :>).

I managed to round up some takers for food, and we headed to the Skipton Balti House - thanks Irish.

Then more drinks at an old ladies cafe by day / cocktail bar by night - yes the picture you have is correct - and then on to the Woolly Sheep - until we got kicked out.

And then - yes - you guessed it - After Dark. I couldn't have asked for a better end to the evening (the company - not the location :>)

But then - you could not make this up...

Got home at 4:00 am and disaster of all disasters - the door is locked...
And the key is in the lock...
I can see it through the glass door...
And it's cold...
Like really cold.

So I get into one of the cars and decide to try to get some sleep.
Stupid Idea.
It's sub zero, and I'm getting colder and colder - (just what you deserve when you don't wear a coat in winter - I hear the over fifties cry).

So after about 30 minutes I realised that I could end up literally freezing to death so I ring the door bell. Why is everything at night so much louder - even I could hear it and I was outside!

I was rather relieved when Paul dashed down the stairs and let me in. There has been much apologising on my part today :>)

-----

So that's that. No more work. Having spent some time chatting to Sally and Irish about this, I can now confidently sum up my last year at work.

We achieved a lot - and we had a laugh doing it.

You can't ask for better than that. Thanks everyone.

No comments: