Sunday 30 November 2008

Cusco

Having got back from Colca Canyon, I stayed the night in Arequipa, and caught the 8.30pm bus to Cusco. It arrived at about six in the morning - so I headed straight for a cafe called El Bueno Pastor - which helps street kids - and yes - it was as good as it looks:

I wasn`t really sure what to expect from Cusco - being that everyone comes here to see Machu Picchu. I was expecting it to be a real tourist trap, and while there are some elements of that, it`s got a lot going for it.

Here`s some photo`s:
It reminds me a lot of Spain - and the Spanish influence is fairly obvious.

I did the religious circuit - as they call it here - but you can´t take photo`s in any of the places. I did however take a few photo`s of some of the Inca remains. Cusco is actually built on an Inca town, and some of the buildings here are built on top of the Inca foundations.

Here`s a good example - the bottom section is Inca, the top section is Spanish:

And here`s some Inca Ruin thingies (not quite sure what it was but it was OK - and the weather was nice :-)
Met up with Cristian and his wife who are from Romania who I met on the Colca tour and we had dinner in Cusco. We ended up drinking Coca Beer which is a bit like a non-gassy cider. It was a bit odd but really refreshing. It rained while we were eating, and by rain I mean torrential. Luckily it stopped by the time we`d eaten.

Here´s a shot of the beer menu at the place we were at - weird or what:

No comments: