Tuesday 4 November 2008

What It's Like Not To Go To Work...

I was going to add an entry last night after my first day of "no work", but didn't get around to it. So here's my thoughts after two days of "no work"....

Fantastic!!!!   :>)

I actually spent the day (Monday) clearing and boxing up a load of my stuff, and then spent today chasing around Skipton trying to get things ticked off the to do list - which actually sounds pretty much like work. 

I was mentioning to Paul (T) tonight that I was already missing people at work - the catching up on what's going on, and all, and the fact that everything has moved on already. 

One thing I really enjoyed about work was the morning ritual. It's something I've missed already - I use to really look forward to:

Getting in. 
Saying hi to whoever was in the office. 
Switching on the laptop. 
Getting coffee and some breakfast. 
Getting ready for the day. 
Saying hi to people as they arrived. 
Then starting the day. 

It always seemed to prepare me for whatever might happen - I miss it. 

And I actually didn't realise how much I'd miss the general social stuff. I've got plenty to occupy my mind at the moment which appears to have replaced WORK for the time being - but I don't have...

...all of the other stuff. The stuff that actually counts. 

I did get the chance today to have a fantastic lunch with Dave and Jeremy - it was really great to catch up with them and learn all about the volcano that's about to explode in Chile amongst other things. You can look at the photo's here: 


And read about it here:


You have to feel for the people who live their - we may have a financial crisis to worry about - but I guess it's little compared to the people who might lose everything they have. 

Which leads me onto a terribly shallow statement. The other thing I'm really missing is - The Phone. 

It feels like I've lost my voice some how. I keep thinking - I'll text X, or I'll phone Y - and I can't do it. I've even had to go back to wearing a watch so I know what time it is. 

But at the end of day 2 I'm starting to get use to it - and I'm so glad I had to give it back. I think I've worked just about every day of holiday I've had in the last few years - be it taking calls in a market in Morocco, or outside the Pantheon in Rome. Or just sitting at home in Silsden. 

It feels liberating not to be on the go all of the time - to have time. I've never had it before - that's what you get when your always chasing after things. Now I have no plans and plenty of time. 

I think that's going to be the most liberating thing. At one point I cared about how far I could get in a year. Now I'm not that bothered. I'd rather have great memories, than tick off a load of places. What's the point in rushing through life...

I think I'm learning that life's not about how far you go - but about what you do on the way.

No comments: