Wednesday 19 November 2008

London

It's been an unusual few days in London - a mixture of chores and fun.
I've had quite a few final things to sort out, like buy a few things that I was missing, and sort out an international driving licence, etc. It's taken about half of my time - and I think (hope - it's too late now :>) that I've done everything I need to do.
On the fun side, I've had a good wander around London seeing the sites. I also went to see the Mouse Trap - Agatha Christie's record breaking show that's been running for 45 million years and was originally staged by monkey's. Actually, it was show number 23,326 according to the board in the foyer.

I really enjoyed it - very retro - great fun - a real laugh, and a great twist at the end. I sat in the Upper Circle (with it's own entrance around the corner - I presume so the gentry didn't have to see the riff raff) and there were only about 20 other people there. I was wondering if no one turns up whether it still counts as a performance? If your in London - go and see it - it's fun.
Today was the best of the day's - in fact - it was my perfect London day. Breakfast at Starbucks, and then on to the Tate Modern. I was a little disappointed by the exhibit in the Turbine Hall - but there was plenty of other great stuff there. I find paintings (specifically portraits) a bit boring - it's like looking at photo's of people you don't know. Or landscapes that aren't real. I like art that makes you think, makes you feel, or makes you smile. And there was plenty to see at the Tate Modern. Even the building itself is worth a look. They had a surrealist exhibit which was excellent.
Last time I was in London (my first blog for people who followed it) was when I was seeing Rush at Wembley, and they had the exhibit Shibboleth - a huge crack in the floor. You can read about it here. I had a woman ask me if the crack everyone was looking at was an art work or something wrong with the building - despite the fact they'd warned everyone about it as you went in!

The great thing is that the crack is still there - it's been filled in - but you can clearly see it on the floor.
After a good unhurried look around, I had a wander along South Bank and had a late lunch.



Now..."It's not unusual..." to see buskers on the South Bank.
But...it is unusual if one of the buskers is:




Yes - Tom Jones. He was raising money for Cancer Research and sang a pretty good set. I've never been into his music, and have always considered him a bit dated. But...when he started performing - you could see why he's so popular. He held the crowd, and really entertained. What a voice - just a guy and a guitar - which for me is the purest form of modern music - hard to do and really pull it off.

And now I'm here - getting ready to go to Heathrow.
To sum up London: chores, fun, and surprises. London's great - perhaps not as good as some other places - it does feel a little shabby - the architecture is great - but it all looks a bit tired.
But there's some great things going on - The Tate Modern, the art work Under Scan in Trafalgar Square, The Eye. Everyone should go at least once. I've spent a lot of time here - even lived here for a very (very) brief period. But here's always something to do and see.
Anyway - I'm heading off now - not sure what's going to happen. I do feel a little transient at the moment. Not sure when my next update will be - but until then - see ya.
(P.s. Apologies for the formatting - I've only five minutes left so can't spent time getting it right).

No comments: