Monday 10 November 2008

Almost Time To Go...

Well - it's Monday today and I'll be leaving on Thursday, so I thought I'd better write a quick summary of the week. 

It's been really busy, and plenty of things have been going on. 

Spent Bonfire Night at The Devonshire Arms with Lindon, Sam, Al, Samantha, and Paul, Ruth and the Dudes. Bumped into Julian and Fiona who were also there which was great. It was a great night out - no rain - and great company. Forgot the camera - so no photos :<(

I also managed to get hold of the malaria tablets (they only cost a tenner for eight weeks supply which was good). 

I went for lunch with Keith and Avril on Thursday to the Tempest Arms. We drove over the tops and there was no wind - so you could see the hills reflected in the reservoir's. No camera (oops) so no photo's. The food was great, and it was nice to be able to repay them (in a small way) for their kindness over the past years. Sunday lunch just won't be the same having had the best Sunday lunch anywhere in the world for the last year. I'm really going to miss it - it was one of the highlights of the week. 

I've not been feeling well over the last week, and Friday I spent most of the day in bed. I was so bad that Paul and I were running through alternate singers for the leaving party - but we decided to see how things would go the next day before panicking. I looked after the Dudes on Friday night while Paul and Ruth went out - it was fun. I'll really miss them both. 

And then the leaving party on Saturday. I took Joshua to Stanforth's in Skipton to buy 50 pies - he was really exited about it, and most concerned about it all - even to the point that when we had to wait 15 minutes for them to be cooked he kept asking if they were ready yet :>)

It was great to catch up with so many people on Saturday night. As I've been so busy with work and not feeling that great it all felt a bit last minute, but it worked out in the end. Thanks to everyone who came, and for the kind gifts - it was certainly a night to remember. 

The music set was great - really enjoyed playing and singing - thanks to the house band (Paul and Lindon - we should play more!), and to the guest musicians - particularly Sam, AJ, Al, and Lindon. My voice held up (I gargled with Sherry before hand - works every time) - although I forgot the words to the Elvis number we started out with. But after that - everything went great. Thanks to Al and Keith for sorting out the PA for me.  

I did manage to get some photo's - although I failed miserably to get a shot with everyone who came - oh well. I did see some other people snapping away so hopefully I'll be able to get some great photos. 

And then - Sunday - the last Sunday lunch, and the last night at church. Just another thing I'm going to miss (have I said that already). 

There's still plenty to sort out - and I've got a few things on over the next few days. 

All of the last times and final goodbyes have been quiet sad - although everyone is really excited about the trip which makes it a lot easier. 

I've now got to the point where I just want to go. I've been dreaming about this for so long - I just want it to start. I'll admit it - but there's a slight feeling of nerves - I've never set out with no plan at all - I've no idea what's going to happen or where I'll end up. But in the end - it adds to the excitement of it all.

Hopefully the blog will get a bit more interesting. I read through all of the entries so far and they all fall into one of three categories:

1) I went to X to buy Y. 
2) I'm not sure if I really want to go because I'm going to miss X. 
3) I can't wait to go, it'll be great because of Y. 

Which explains why I'm the only person in the world who knows about it. But - I wanted to keep a record - so it's there - I've you've arrived new to this, do yourself a favour and ignore everything written before this post - the summary above just about covers it all :>)

1 comment:

Kevin Humphrey said...

Hi Tim I just got to this point in your Blog - having just heard about your amazing trip - I read your latest blog and though best to start from the beginning - Its great reading and I can't wait to read the whole thing in the right order and catch up with where you are now. Be Safe.
Kevin Humphrey