Friday 27 February 2009

Melbourne

I didn't really enjoy my time in Melbourne. It was cold and windy when I arrived, and it was the first time I'd had to wear a jumper since Bolivia.

After arriving at the train station, I had to trail around town trying five different hostels, before I ended up phoning one of the YHA's out of town. Luckily, I got the last bed they had.

Everyone says Melbourne is the most English city in Oz - but it really reminded me of Boston - which "they" say is the most English city in America. "They" also say you'll either love it or hate it.

On reflection - and after a chat with Lindon and Sam - who were there the week before me - I may have been a bit hasty in my first conclusions. Not only had they just had the cricket and tennis - but the worst bush fires ever were going on - the scenes on the TV were horrific.

I'd also had a really great week on the Gold Coast and that probably had some bearing. Anyway - I trailed around a bit, and saw a few things. Here's a few pics of Melbourne:

Close to the edge, down by the river:



The railway station:



Another view of the river:



The Cathedral:



They have streets with loads of cool street art: here's a few samples:





Even the bin got treated:



Melbourne at night from the Rialto Tower:



No comments: