Tuesday 10 February 2009

Sydney - Day 3 - The Opera House - a lesson in Project Managment

Unfortunately I had to move room's in the Hostel this morning, and Daniela, Constance, and Lisa were on their way to other places.

The new dorm was totally unlike the one I'd spent the first two nights in Sydney. On the good side, it was in one of the converted train carriages they have here (which is basically sat on the platform of Central Station - you can see commuters walking past the windows in the morning!).



On the negative side, most of the people in the dorm seemed to do nothing else but sleep. And I'm not exaggerating (in fact - one guy was always in his bed whenever I was in the dorm room - regardless of the time of day). So it was a bit hard to arrange to do anything with anyone.

Not one to be put off by these minor setbacks, I grabbed my "what to do in Sydney list" and spent the rest of my time seeing the sights.

Some of you will have noticed that I've an interest in architecture, and I couldn't resist the opportunity to see The Sydney Opera House.

It really is an incredible building, and must be one of the most iconic buildings in the world. It's instantly recognizable, and looks so like any other building anywhere else, its a real stand out building.

In fact - it's now been recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

I decided to take the tour and see the inside, and would have to say, it's as interesting on the inside as it is on the outside.

I'd have to say - it's one of the best buildings I've ever seen...

As a slight aside, while your looking around they show you these videos on the building of the Opera House. On the first of the videos it ended with a statement along the lines of: "...and so, with only very high level plans, and with the detailed planning still to be started, work started on the Opera House."

I'm thinking: I bet it ran over budget and time.

The next video started with how the project ran over budget and time. No surprises there then. The second video talked about how the government changed part way through the construction.

I'm thinking: Mmmhhh - change of sponsor. I bet the architects got into real problems and there was a big falling out.

The next video talked about how the government started asking all sorts of questions, including whether the project should continue. At the end of the video, they ended up firing the architect. No surprises there then.

The video ended with a statement along the lines of: "...the site was constrained by space, and the building made the best use it could of what was available".

I'm thinking: I bet someone isn't happy with something about the "delivered project".

And sure enough, as they show you around, they mention how they need more space on the stages. Which just goes to show: you can deliver one of the world's most iconic buildings which is recognized the world over. But your end users will never be happy with what you give them.

Here endeth the lesson.

I took way too many photos - so here's a small sample:







The concert hall:



The specially designed interior is made of soft wood to give a softer sound to the music - while the opera hall has hard wood to give stronger acoustic presence. The chairs are designed to absorb the same amount of sound as a human so that it doesn't matter if the chair is empty or not.





The internal structure of the domes (which were built first - after the base was completed):





Oh dear...although they are currently modernizing the interior:



The sails look white in photos - but are actually cream:



And this was what the weather was like on the day I looked around:



That night I decided to have a trip to the opera house to see "The Reduced Works of Shakespeare" - which was one of the funniest and most irreverent things I've ever seen. At one point I was struggling to breathe as I was laughing so hard. A couple of Australian guys behind me were in tears...if you get a chance - go and see it. Although - I must add - some may be offended.

Like the Japanese couple who sat next to me and never smiled once. At one point (while I'm struggling not to fall off my chair laughing) the woman turns and looks at me in disgust). Strangely - they never did see the second half.

I also managed to look around Darling Barbour and China Town - but not much to report so I think we'll leave it at that.

No comments: