Tuesday 10 February 2009

Sydney - Day 4 - Watsons Bay

Today was a beautiful day. Just the right sort of day to jump on the ferry and head to Watson's Bay for fish and chips by the sea.

The 30 minute trip out through the harbor has to be one of the best boat journeys I've done.

Doyles is an icon here in Sydney - and is the place to get the most Yorkshire of meals. You order, and then wait while they make it fresh for you, and then sit looking over the bay.

Fantastic.

(Although the fish and chips were not as good as home...they've not just got the batter right...but they were still pretty good).

And then on for a wander to see where Sydney Harbor opens into the sea. Here's a few pics:



South Head:







Near The Gap:



The ferry stops fairly early, and having got back to Sydney downtown I was at a bit of a loose end. I'd heard that they have cheap "standing" tickets for the opera. The lady at the ticket office asked me if I was a student (which sadly I no longer am) but sold me a student ticket anyway. For an extra fiver I got to sit on the front row of the dress circle - slap bang in the middle. Which means I got a 60 pound ticket for just 25 pounds. Now that's a bargain.

Now opera is not usually my thing. Not enough distorted guitars, bass, and drums, and definitely no jumping up and down. But I really enjoyed it. (It was actually two operas: Cavalleria Rusticana and I Pagliacci for the cultured among you. One of the lines from I Pagliacci is the opening line for Queen's "It's a Hard Life" so there was at least some rock and roll going on :-)

No comments: