Wednesday 4 February 2009

Sydney - Day 1

This is the most unprepared I've ever been when I've arrived somewhere. I had no guide book, no idea about where I should be going, and although I'd slept on the plane felt completely knackered.

I got the bus from the airport to downtown, and got dropped off at "The Rocks" and walked down to George Street.

It's Sunday morning, and nothing is open, and there's no one around. I get that horror movie feeling again, like I'm the only person in Sydney (Another 28 Days Later maybe). My thinking is that at some point a bookshop will open and I'll be able to get a guide book, and after working out where I am, find somewhere to stay.

I'll admit that I felt completely disorientated. Not only was I feeling jet lagged, but Sydney is totally different to South America, and it all looked different. After an hour's wandering around I find a Gloria Jean's Coffee Shop - which Lindon and Sam told me about and decide to have Coffee and some fruit and nut bread. I'm so use to not speaking English that I ordered in Spanish and got these really blank looks :-)

A couple of hours later I've got a guide book and I find a place to stay. It's at the Central Station, and is a pretty cool place. I got chatting to Tom and James from Carlisle in the UK who are part working part traveling there way around Oz and NZ.

Not one for wasting any time, I suggest a trip up the Sydney Tour and the three of us head off to find it and enjoy the views. Here's a few pics:







After the tower I decided to walk over the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It was pretty cold and windy, but the view was great:

Down Town Sydney from The Bridge:



Circular Quay, Down Town Sydney, and The Opera House:



Where's that confounded bridge:



A few random shots:





After a good wander around I went back to the Hostel and met up with the guy's from the dorm, along with Daniela and Constance from Germany who were also staying in the same dorm. We ended up going out for food, beer, and played some pool. It was pretty relaxing after the long long flight - a great end to my first day in Australia.

No comments: