Thursday 26 March 2009

Kampot

I came to Kampot specifically to go to the Bokor Hill Station - an abandoned town on the hill's above Kampot. But sadly it wasn't possible to go as it was closed. I even tried to bribe my way there, but no one would take me. Apparently their blasting the road, so it makes sense not to I guess.

Not much else to report. I'm still not feeling well, but thankfully the pepper burning has worn off. So I've spent my time reading, surfing the net, and eating in the many great restaurants in Kampot.

Just waiting for the Vietnam visa to start and I'll be off on the road again.

Kampot is a great place to hang out. Loads of friendly local people around, and zero hassle. Just what was needed I think.

Just one story from my time in Kampot: I'm walking back to my Guest House, when I hear music and talking over a sound system, and thought at first it was a wedding. But there's this big crowd so I decide to explore.

It turns out that people are playing...darts...yes really. The quintessential northern pub game being played in Cambodia. OK - it did have a slight variation on the standard approach. Instead of a board there are loads of balloons in holes, and you have to pop the balloons. The more balloons you pop the better the prize!

Here's two photo's from Kampot:

Er...no! (Check under the sign :-)



And looking across the river to Bokor:



----------
If your ever in Kampot - check out:

The Epic Arts Cafe: The best coffee in Cambodia - it was recently awarded the Dave Overton Coffee Standard award when visited by our recent reviewer. The French Toast breakfast with Fruit Salad was also pretty good as well. All of the money they make supports disabled and deaf children, some of whom help run the cafe.

Bar Red: The best curry this side of Bradford. Seriously tasty...

Bonkors Bar: A slice of home in Kampot.

No comments: