Saturday 28 March 2009

The Road To Can Tho...

I must admit - I think I'd got stuck in Cambodia, and if it wasn't for the Vietnam visa starting on the 27th March, I think I'd still be there.

I'd have to say that Cambodia is the best place I've visited so far - which says a lot, because I've been really lucky to go to some amazing places.

The south coast in particular was really great, as it's so laid back and easy going. It was also really quiet, and the local people were so friendly I could easily have stayed. It's slightly scary when you walk down the street thinking: "I could live here" and then meet people who thought the same thing and never left. It's even more scary when your told about businesses that are for sale and start wondering whether you could make them work.

I think this picture sums up some of the things I felt about Kampot:



Yes - Heinz Tomato Sauce - a proven super food. There was enough of the comfort things in life to make Kampot appealing - like a great group of friendly expats, and some of the best restaurants I've ever been to, with good local and western food. There was even an unbelievably good Indian restaurant.

And so - reluctantly - I packed my bags and got a share taxi to the Vietnam border.

I always like crossing international borders - there's something really exciting about it. You go to the first set of offices and get stamped out - and then on through no person's land to the next office where you get stamped in.

While I'm walking across between countries, I always wonder what would happen if the next country refused to stamp you in - and then the country you just left said that you didn't have a visa?

After (thankfully) getting stamped into Vietnam, I got a moto to Chau Doc. The guy was a complete nutter, but I've gotten use to zipping around on the back of a moto. As with every other border - a few miles down the road everything changed. There is of course a different language (written in different script) and different money. Even the people dress and look different.

After a quick lunch in Chau Doc, and a hasty look around, I headed to the bus station to catch a bus to Can Tho.

The drive goes through the Mekong Delta, passed small villages, and across the various canals and rivers that make up the area. Three hours later and I was in Can Tho...

Tune in to next week's episode and discover why you should never argue with a woman!

No comments: