Sunday 18 January 2009

Clubbing and Culture - Retiro to La Boca and night at the Museum...

Given that I didn`t have much time, and the list of things to see was long, I decided to have a full on sight seeing day. I managed to get up at 9 and was out of the hostel at 10.

BA is split up into a number of different Barrio`s (neighbourhoods).

I started off in down town and did the walking tour suggested by the Lonely Planet. Here`s a small sample of some of the stuff I saw in the downtown area:

By the main park at Retiro:



The modern face of BA:



This is one of Florida Street, a long pedestrian street with great shopping:



The Pacifico Galeria - more of which later:



And inside the Galeria:



July 9th Avenue
- one of the widest avenues in the world:



The rather impressive Obelisk:




The National Congress
:



After lunch, I headed down through San Telmo to La Boca. San Telmo has a good Sunday market - but given that it was Tuesday it was pretty quite - although great for a wander round. I did try and go to the modern art gallery their but it was closed, so I carried on to La Boca.

The main part of La Boca is a residential area, with a few touristy blocks. The Planet did suggest not walking through the area, but it seemed OK to me - maybe a bit rough around the edges - but not that bad.

Here`s some pics of the "tourist bit" with the famous painted buildings:







From the tourist bit, I made my way passed La Boca Stadium - home of Boca Juniors - here`s a picture of the main entrance:



I walked back through the incredible Puerto Madero, with its modern building`s and docks:

Post modern office buildings in Puerto Madero:



The docks and new offices:



Fragata Sarmiento - it`s been round the world 40 times - which is no mean feat. Also famous for being used to train the Argentine Navy:



After a long day I headed back to the Hostel and got chatting to Alice who was visiting BA from Puerto Allegre in Brazil.

As neither of us had eaten we decided to head off for food. Alice mentioned that there was one slight problem: she doesn`t eat meat. Which was no problem for me.

So we ended up going to a Jamaican Restaurant around the corner from Milhouse.

One thing about the hostel is that they arrange things every day, and always have something on every night. They also recommend a club for the night. Alice introduced me to some Brazilian girls and after some discussion, a load of people from the hostel decided to head to that night`s club: Museum.

Museum is famous for being in a building which was designed by Alexandre Gustave Eiffel who designed some tower thing in Paris. It`s been really well restored and is an incredibly impressive place. Sorry - there are no pics.

One thing about the Museum on Wednesday nights is that they start at 8pm and it closes at 3.30am - which worked well for me, because I still needed to see the rest of BA.

So we headed off at midnight for the club. The first hour they played terrible music from the 80`s - including Rick Astley: "Never gonna give you up, Never gonna let you down, Never gonna run around and desert you". But the music got better as the night went on - thankfully.

After a couple of hours of non stop dancing - it was time to go home - and I managed to make it to bed by 4am.

No comments: