Wednesday 21 January 2009

Culture and Clubbing - North of Retiro and Lost...

I woke up at 10 and was out of the hostel by 11. After a quick breakfast I set off to see everything north of Retiro.

The first Barrio passed Retiro is Recolleta - where the wealthy people live. I must say it was rather nice - and definitely worth a wander through. Here`s some pic`s of Recolleta:

The main square...



...and a random street:



The main draw here, is the Recolleta Cemetery - where the most influential and wealthy people are buried. It`s an incredible place. And while I`d only planned to spent a few moments here, I ended up wandering around for almost two hours.

It`s like a maze, with tiny avenues to walk through, and incredibly grand graves - including Eva Peron`s.

Here are some pics:

The famous church just outside the cemetery:



And inside:



The cemetery entrance:



And inside:















Ancient and modern:



This one is the famous comic character:







One of my favourites (reminds me of an Ayn Rand novel I once read):



And perhaps the most famous of all - Eva Peron`s:







My next stop was the Museo Nacional De Bellas Artes, which had an incredible collection, from classical through to modern (and one which I think might have been classed as Post Modern - but my art knowledge isn`t that good).

Just over the road is a shopping mall dedicated to BA interior designers. It has loads of little shops selling everything you could possibly need to furnish a house or apartment. This would be the place to come if you wanted to fit out a place.

And then it was on to see the famous Floralis Generica which opens and closes at dawn and dusk:



The perspective isn`t clear on the picture - but it`s huge.

After the flower I went for a wander around Palermo, which is a great area with shops, huge parks, and cafes and restaurants. It´s the place you go to hang out.

Here´s two pics from Palermo:





Daniela and Veronica had recommended a Pizza place (Romarios) and after a bit of wandering around (and a quick look on the Internet) I eventually found it.

They even said which pizza I should order!!! So I walked in, sat down, and asked for this pizza. The waitress fell about laughing at my horrific Spanish - and after a fun conversation (half in Spanish and half in English) where she helped me say it correctly (although I´m fairly sure I was pronouncing it wrong) I finally got my Pizza and beer.

Mushrooms, Garlic, and Basil - I´d have to say - best Pizza on the trip so far - and I´ve eaten a lot of pizza...

Feeling really full - I headed back to the hostel. Thursday night is party night at Milhouse and they have a disco (with really bad music - so I ended up chatting to the 10 Brazilian girls and a few other people I´d met at Museum, and we decided to head to a club called Lost. It was only 11pm at this point, and we were going out at 1:30am, so I headed to bed - and managed to get to sleep for about at hour.

At almost 2am, we got a taxi and headed off to Palermo. Had a crazy night - they played some good music - including a great Reggae set in the middle of the night.

Got back to the Hostal at 6am, and managed to make it to bed at 7am...

No comments: