Sunday 18 January 2009

Uruguay and Montevideo

I decided on a whim to bypass Buenos Aires and go straight to Montevideo. My thinking was that it was early in the week, and that Buenos Aires (BA from this point on), would be best seen at the weekend.

So after a four hour bus journey, I wandered down to the ferry terminal and bought a ferry ticket to Uruguay. Customs is little more than a formality, and after 3 hours on the boat I was in Uruguay.

Montevideo is a really nice laid back place. Great for walking around and with great beaches (maybe a bit quiet for my liking - but nice all the same).

I got really badly bitten by Mosquitoes on my first night (which is bad because they have Dengue Fever here), and the next night had to use the Moz Vapouriser - which thankfully worked. Thanks also to Sally for the clicker - it gives a mild electric shock to the bite and stops it itching - heaven...

I`d only planned on being there one night, but really felt like I needed an extra day just to chill out. So spent the extra time I had walking down the beaches - which are incredible.

Soft golden sand, clear water, and 31 degrees. What more could you ask for.

Here are some random pics of Montevideo. Just wish I`d had more time, as the there are some really great places down the coast (Punta Del Este where all the celebs go springs to mind) - maybe next time...

A random street:



Downtown:



One of the many awesome beaches (I actually got really bad sunburn as it was red hot):



The Torre Antel Tower:



(This is the national telephone companies head office - and it`s an incredible piece of architecture. Not only is there the tower, but they have offices, and a performance area where they hold regular plays and music. Around the back is a huge modern public space).

Me "at top at tower" (now were starting...):

No comments: