Wednesday 21 January 2009

Culture and Clubbing - Last Day In BA

Along with the seriously hot rooms - there`s one other problem with Milhouse.

Check out is at 10am - yes - you read that right 10am.

So having got into bed at after 6am, I had to get up at 9am so I could shower and get my stuff together. I was - as you can expect from the little amount of sleep I had had - struggling...

Having stored my bag in the Luggage Room, I bumped into Eric, and a guy from Germany called Stephan. I told them I was going to do the last thing on "The List", and they decided to come along.

For the whole time I`d been in BA I`d been asking for this place called "El Atereo" - and no one knew were it was - or even what it was. So I`d kind of given up. Until I asked one of the guy`s who worked at the Hostal, who worked out where I was trying to get to. It turns out it`s called "El Ateneo" - so no wonder I was getting blank looks!

So we set off, had breakfast on the way, and then found the place. It`s basically a huge bookshop (think Waterstone`s or Borders) - except it`s in a large converted theatre.

Here are some pics:









They even had books in English. This has to be the coolest bookshop in the world!!!!

Having said goodbye to Eric and Stephan, I had a wander through town, and went for a late lunch to one of the best Italian Restaurants I`ve ever been too. Good food, great wine - what more could you ask for!

I picked up my bag from the hostal - chatted to Rob for a while, and then set off to the bus station.

As I`m walking through the park, this guy starts walking really close to me, and it all feels weird. And then he moves from my right side to my left, and there is something really weird about this guy. So I stop walking. A few seconds later a woman walks up to me and in perfect English says I have something on my rucksack and offers me a tissue.

Having told her to get stuffed I set off walking as quickly as I could to the bus station - to find that the guy had sprayed toothpaste on my rucksack. It`s a scam, were one of them sprays you, the other offers a tissue, and while you wipe off the toothpaste, they pick your pockets.

While I`ve never been targeted before, I have read about it, and spoken to other people, who`ve been caught out. But the guy was acting so suspiciously that I was already on my guard. I was livid - while I wiped off the toothpaste (luckily it`s not marked my bag). But it could have been worse...

And then I got on the bus to Mendoza.

No comments: