Wednesday 21 January 2009

Culture and Clubbing - Belgrano, China Town, and Crobar...

I didn´t sleep that great, but managed to drag myself out of bed at 12.

I´d only two things left to do on "The List", so after a quick breakfast to try and wake myself up, I set off to Belgrano.

Belgrano is north of Palermo, so there´s a fairly lengthy ride on the metro - but thankfully I managed to get a seat. And it was definitely worth the effort. Belgrano is named after the guy who designed the national flag (see this post for details of his memorial). You can read more about him here.

When you get off the underground, you walk up the stairs to a manic shopping street that is packed with people and traffic. But as soon as you walk off this main street, your suddenly into these really nice streets with loads of trees. It´s a really nice area, and great for a walk around. There´s also a really nice square in memory off Belgrano:



A little further down there´s a park designed by a French Architect which is really impressive (sorry - I was struggling to stay awake and forgot to take photo´s). And then, literally, across a set of railway lines you come to China Town. It´s not like the one in London or New York - but is a residential area with Chinese restaurants and supermarkets. Think London China Town on Valium and you´ll get an idea of what it was like.

I headed back to the hostel and stopped off for a Burrito on the way back.

So it´s 8pm on a Friday night, and it´s my last night in BA. After talking to Alice for over an hour, I decided to go to bed and try and get some sleep.

The one problem at Milhouse is that the rooms are oppressively hot - and even with the fans on it´s really hard to sleep. So I lay awake until the alarm went off at 11:45pm and after a shower I headed downstairs to see if people were heading out.

I think most people had overdone it the night before, because it was a bit quieter, but there was still a large group who were planning to out, including Rob and Eric who I´d met on the previous nights.

The Brazilians were clearly flagging and despite repeated efforts to change there minds, declined to join us.

That night´s "featured club" was Crobar playing House - and what was even better was that they arranged transport to the place. So at 2am we all piled into a minibus and set off for Palermo. I´d have to say - I was a little disappointed. The music was not that great, and it seemed quiete when we got there, although it did fill up a bit at about 3am.

I must admit I was a little bored at one point, and was just thinking about getting a taxi home when I got talking to Sarah - who was in BA for a month. We really hit it off, and ended up talking for a good two hours. Which even included trying out the two tango dance steps we both knew in time to house music!

On the way back to the Hostel the taxi driver took us through one of the less salubrious parts of town - including a street with Lady Boys!!! Not sure if PD (identity hidden to preserve the innocent :-) has been here, but it did make me smile...

Had a good chat with Eric and Rob on the way back, and we finally got back to the place at 6am.

No comments: